5/1/11

Paper Stash - Kraft Resist Paper by Tim Holtz

I'll admit that I broke my resolution by missing a couple weeks posting. We were out of town for the last two weekends, and I was so obsessed with my current projects that I have not allowed time for my blog. Nevertheless, I am happy to be finished with one of my projects and am going to share it with you now.

I was chomping at the bit to play with some of my newest Tim Holtz toys, so I started working on a few tags using the Kraft Resist Paper titled "Paper Stash" from Tim's Idea-ology line.
The papers are a light weight kraft (think brown paper bag) card stock with embossed images already printed over the patterns. I could not find a weight on the information, but it is heavier than scrapbook paper, but lighter than 65 lb card stock. The patterns are very vintage and cool and coordinate well with the tissue tapes, stencils and stamps in the Tim Holtz line.
I began by using my Sizzix Movers and Shapers Tag and Bookplates Die. I cut several tags out on my Cuttlebug, from a variety of the Kraft Resist Papers. The die cut them very well, using two B plates to run through my machine.
I wanted to try a few background techniques to see how the paper would look. I started with the Distress ink onto the craft mat technique, rubbing a few pads onto the the craft mat and spritzing the ink with a fine spray of water. Then I pressed the tag face into the ink and dried with a heat gun, repeating the process until I was satisfied with the results. At first I was disappointed because when the paper got wet you could not see the color. Once it dried you could definitely see the color as well as the cool resist patterns of the paper. I will caution you that when you get this paper wet it curls and waves. I placed the dried tags under a book overnight and this solved the dilemma.
Here is a cute tag I finished that used that technique:

You can really see the resist pattern behind the image of the stamped princess, and the yellows and oranges of the ink I applied to the paper. I embellished with Tim's "Cherish" Philosophy Tag, grunge shapes, a flower and a Jolie's 3d fleur dis lie sticker.
Here is another tag with the Distress Ink technique which was finished with Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous cling mount stamps, Salvage Sticker, Leather "W" embellishment and vintage image.

I also used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists over some of Tim Holtz' Advantus mini-masks to get a background with areas where the Kraft Paper showed through. The mists worked great on the paper, but as with the Distress technique, I had to weight the dried tags down to flatten them back out.
 Tissue Tape and ribbon flowers, rubber stamps and vintage images create my "Time flies" tag.
This one is adorned with Tim's Stamps, Salvage Sticker, Adage Ticket, Mini-Rosette, vintage image, Idea-ology light bulb altered with Ranger alcohol ink, Trinket Pin and Sprocket Gear.
This is another spritzed tag but I added oil pastels to highlight the background over the dried ink. I added vintage images, Tim Holtz Salvage Sticker, mini-rosette, Tim Stamps, rub-ons and topped it off with a rhinestone, button and Crystal Accents over the heart.

15 comments:

Rhea said...

Great tags Lori! So sad I had to miss you guys again for Altered Group. I was with you in spirit though and spent a lot of time this weekend creating. Hope your well!

Janet Baldwin said...

These are just stunning - I am now really motivated to get back into my craft room after several weeks of inaction!! Thanks for sharing

Barb said...

Beautiful Tags..love the vintage themes.

Dorothy said...

Excellent tags!!!

Linda DesGroseilliers said...

I have this paper and haven't tried it yet. These are great ideas - I wouldn't have thought of tags because the scale of the patterns on the paper is so large but you've made me rethink that! Thanks

Joyce said...

Wonderful!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL tags, Lori!! I need to pull out my resist papers I just had to have and play!!

inge said...

Hello Lori,

thanks for sharing your experiments with this craft paper !
i don't have it ..yet... but I like the tags you made with them !
greetings from belgium
Inge

Dianne Adams said...

Love your tags! Beautiful work.

shari said...

All of your tags are Awesome! Great job, I'll have to get some of this paper and try it. I love your blog and am following you now. Shari (cricutrookie)

Autumn Labbe-Renault said...

I've been enjoying this paper as well. Love your tags!

Marjie Kemper said...

Love all your tags! So clever to have that 'cherish' charm hanging from the flourish.

Mary C. Nasser said...

Love, love, love these pieces!
Thanks for photographing and sharing them!!

So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
I am your newest blog follower. :)
Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

Best,
Mary C. Nasser
http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

Lisa :) said...

Very pretty!!!

Maggie said...

Love the tags that you created with the Kraft resist paper, you have inspired me!